Sahara India Pariwar is an Indian conglomerate which has made a global impact with its diversified business portfolio, extending from housing, finance, media, entertainment, IT, retail and FMCG, but there is one more side to Sahara that basks in a glorified lineage- its connection with sports. Since decades, Sahara India Pariwar has been contributing towards improving sports industry in India.
Most fondly, the company is remembered for being the official sponsor of Indian cricket team for a very long time. For its extensive association and support to Indian cricket, Sahara was given an opportunity to make a cricket stadium in Pune. The stadium has been named after Subrata Roy. Apart from that,Sahara is also the owner of IPL team Pune warriors. Apart from being involved in major international leage tournaments, Sahara has also been supporting annual ‘Sheesh Mahal Tournament’ which is one of the major and the oldest summer cricket tournament of India.
Apart from criket, Sahara India Pariwar is also a major official sponsor of Asia’s oldest football league – The Calcutta Football League and the senior Indian Hockey Team since the year 2003. Subrata Roy Sahara, the owner and chairman of Sahara India Pariwar, has been involved in the development of Sports in India because of his emotional commitment towards the betterment of Sports in India.
Furthermore, the company inaugurated India’s biggest sports awards, Sahara India Sports Awards in 2009. This award ceremony was organized to provide recognition and encouragement to talented sportsperson of India
Sahara India Pariwar’s contribution towards development of sports in India has been very extensive. Following are the major events for which Sahara India Pariwar has been the key sponsor:
- World Junior Power lifting in Delhi (1995)
- The Historic Sahara Cup Cricket at Toronto in Canada for three consecutive years (1996 – 1998)
- Indira Gandhi Hockey in Delhi (1995)
- Sahara India Gold Cup, Asia Cup Tennis in Delhi (1997)
- Sahara Uttar Pradesh Sports in Lucknow (1999)
- Women Cricket test match series between India and England (2003)
- Akhil Bhartiya Table Tennis Tournament (2003)
- SAARC Inter airline cricket tournament in Kathmandu (2003)
- Sahara Bucchi Babu Cricket Tournament in Chennai for three consecutive years (2002-2004)
- Under 19 one day international cricket series between Nepal and India (2003)
- Common wealth under 19 cricket tournament
- Golf Achievers Cup (2003).
Latest posts by Sahara India (see all)
- The Ink of Subrata Roy’s pen Bids Farewell to Chhabi Roy - May 10, 2016
- Is Sahara a victim of SEBI’s lethargy of just the situation? Thinking with Satish Mishra! - March 18, 2016
- Subrata Roy’s ‘Life Mantras’ tops Nielsen BookScan - March 8, 2016